Monday 23 May 2011

What is AF? and what is an AF sensor?

AF stands for auto-focus and an AF sensor stands for an auto-focus sensor. This enables automatic focusing of the camera so you don't have to manually adjust the focus every time you shoot a photo. It's the thing which enables the photo to appear sharp when you half-press the shutter and it goes "beep beep!" (well that's what it does on my camera!). If you have a look on the front of your camera you're likely to see a little glass window that may have something that looks like a glass bead or two inside it. That's the AF sensor.

Personally I think that's all I need to know about it because when you get into how the AF system works it starts to get complicated and technical, but if you're interested in that side of things, wikipedia has a good entry on it here.

- - -
Disclaimer: I'm new to photography and my understanding of it is still growing by the day. If you ever spot any mistakes in what I write, feel free to correct me in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment